Thursday, March 21, 2013

Rick Hautala, 1949-2013


I've just heard about the death of horror writer Rick Hautala, and I'm shocked and saddened.  64 is no age.

Back in the 1990s, the Horror Writers' Association had an online presence using the GEnie service. I got to know Rick a bit there and we chatted back and forth.

At the time, I managed 2nd Hand Tunes, a record shop at 818 Dempster in Evanston, Illinois.  I'd gotten in a scarce copy of The Beatles' self-titled LP, the "White Album," in its mono mix, on Japanese red vinyl.

These being the days before ripping LPs to digital, and being long before the mono mixes of The Beatles' albums were available on CD, I made a cassette copy of it for myself.  That was one of the perks of running a record shop!  One night on GEnie, I mentioned it, and Rick asked if he could borrow it, so he could finally hear the differences in the mono mix which he'd always heard about.  So I sent him my cassette, and told him to keep it.  He was thrilled.

I hope he enjoyed it many times, as I did.

Rest in Peace, Rick.  My condolences to your friends and family.

3/21/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment